Spanked in Tanzania

I am, as I mentioned to my rector today in an email, foaming at the mouth about the meeting of the Anglican Primates in Tanzania, and especially because some bishops from the Global South refused to participate in the Eucharist with our own Bishop Katharine, due to the Episcopal Church's liberal views.

I don't have any real perspective on this, and I don't even pretend to be objective. I don't see how anyone, for any reason, could assume that the church has a right to reject God's call to non-celibate gays and lesbians, who have historically not been allowed to marry! It's the old "Catch-22." Get a clue, Africa!

OK. Down, girl. My rector says to remain calm, and to pray hard for all involved. Bishop Katharine's reflection on the Tanzania meeting, which you can read at the Episcopal News Service site (RSS feed is below), is careful to praise the non-controversial aspects of the gathering, and humble (and loving) in relating the rest. She clearly takes the long view: that, with prayer and patience, as Mother Julian says, all will be well, and justice will be served for all our sisters and brothers. Well, the long view has always been hard for me, especially when peoples' lives and happiness hang in the balance. I should work on this.

Just one of the many things I should work on! Good thing I'm not a bishop ...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

Summer blahs ...

When life turns on a dime ...