Crabgrass on the loose!


Having read quite a few articles about declining populations of songbirds, frogs, and honeybees, my husband and I have asked our lawn care company (known at our house as the "Grass People") to cease using any and all chemical pesticides on our lawn. Naturally, they argued with me a bit, and employed their secret weapon. "You know you'll have weeds now," said the Grass Person to whom I was speaking. "We can still use organics on your lawn, but they won't prevent ... crabgrass." I guess she was waiting for the gasp of dismay that didn't come. The threat of the evil and greatly feared crabgrass failed to move me. World hunger moves me. Genocide in Darfur moves me. Dead songbirds and mutated frogs with two heads move me. Crabgrass -- no.

Lawns are highly overrated, in my view, and if I had my way, we would completely cease paying money to the Grass People. In fact, if I had my way, we would let the front lawn grow into a luxuriant meadow, full of wild flowers, and populated by field mice and chipmunks. I know my neighbors, most of whom have professional gardeners, would take a dim view of this, which is another reason I want to do it.

Here endeth the rant. Weeds, hit me with your best shot!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

Summer blahs ...

When life turns on a dime ...