Earth in the broiler ...

No surprise, this. NOAA announced today that 2012 was the hottest year on record for the U.S., and one of the two top years for extremes of weather.  Read about it here.

And now we seem all set to have another very mild winter, at least here in the Northeast.  Temperatures will climb all week, heading to a crescendo of 63 degrees on Sunday. That will be ...let's see ...January 13th. Looks like the hoodie is coming out again. Last winter, I wore my parka only 4 or 5 times. The height of the woodpile is still the same as last year. I have had only one fire, and that was on Christmas Day (for somewhat Dickensian, sentimental reasons). I feel really foolish lighting a fire and then opening the windows. Anyway, it's probably just as well, since I know my fireplace puts fine particulates into the air. The air is sufficiently screwed up already.

I also saw pictures of the Mississippi River last week, along with the speculation that barge traffic would have to be stopped on portions of the waterway because of low ... water.

What are we doing about this, people? Are we going to get serious? I keep turning the lights out in empty rooms.  Recycling every scrap I can get my hands on. I'm thinking about going solar, and buying an electric car.

I'm just afraid it won't be enough. I'm really afraid it won't be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

When life turns on a dime ...

What I said ...