So an older woman walks into a seminary ....

Nope, don't get hysterical, it's not the one at the left. That's the General Theological Seminary, which lots of my friends and acquaintances have attended. I am way, way, way past the age limit for GTS, and even if I weren't, going there would mean relocating to Manhattan and dragging my spouse with me. Some spouses are draggable. Not mine, and that's fine with me. Can you see me in Manhattan? The very thought makes me feel ... well ... shorter. And older!

Anyway, I have a different focus in mind. Next weekend I will begin studying for my MTS (Master of Theological Studies) at the New Seminary for Interfaith Studies, at right. It's also in Manhattan (in fact it's loosely affiliated with the UN), but I get to stay in the provinces and study online most of the time. Intensives and retreats take place in the bucolic NY and MD countryside. And not only do I get to study all major faith traditions, I get to focus on Creation Spirituality. Anyone who knows me has heard me blathering on about Thomas Berry and Matthew Fox for donkeys' years. I'm hoping this additional knowledge will help me to provide spiritual guidance in contexts not necessarily Christian.

So please wish me well on this late-in-life adventure. As a perennial student, I am sure I will enjoy this program.

Or I will soon discover that I have lost my mind.

Comments

Sister BJ said…
OK... now you have me drooling!!! I want to know more about this.
Unknown said…
You are going to do great! And you are not going round the bend! LOL
Jo Ann Staebler said…
Awesomeness!
Unknown said…
Wonderful! We need more people to go around the bend and dare to learn more about the faith traditions of others!
Dot B. said…
Wonderful Judy! I know you will be challenged and also that you have much to offer your fellow students and teachers. I will look forward to hearing about your journey as it unfolds. congratulations and best of luck (though luck really isn't that much involved.)

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

When life turns on a dime ...

What I said ...