Faces shining like the sun

It's the season of celebrations and milestones. In May, our daughter graduated from Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. The same month, two friends were ordained to the Diaconate in the Episcopal Church, in a beautiful service that had most of the congregation in tears of joy.

Now many of my New Seminary friends are reverends, too!

Last Friday I was privileged to attend the ordination of The New Seminary's class of 2015. The service took place in the chapel at Barrytown College, where the entire student body had gathered. After degrees (D.Min. and M.Th.) and prizes were awarded, all those folks to the left were ordained by the Interfaith Temple, and are now interfaith ministers.

I sniffled the entire time. It was very moving -- and I am not much of a crier, as my husband will attest.

A whole new crop of interfaith ministers has been "turned loose" on the world, which will be a better place because of them. Their ordination required no oath of conformation to a set of beliefs, just the promise that they would stay open and loving to people of all faiths, and try to help anyone who approached. This non-doctrinal promise is one I can live with, when it is my turn. Which it will be next June, "God willing and the creek don't rise," as my Granny used to say.

Blessings on these beautiful, loving people as they go forth into the world to provide comfort and service!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for sharing this and your beautiful words. It was a special time.

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

When life turns on a dime ...

Summer blahs ...