How I learned Russian and wrote a novel while sheltering at home!!!

OK, no I didn't! But I think you knew that.

I hope you are all having a wondrously creative time in lockdown. Knitting up a storm, learning the piano, finally learning how to make a roux, n'est-ce pas?  I had all sorts of plans too, now that my favorite activities -- hanging out with friends, volunteering as a chaplain, church, choir, tai chi classes, and eating out -- have all gone down the tubes.


I was going to redesign my front garden.  I did spread mulch and plant a few new things, but the result is much the same as last year.

I was going to add a spiritual direction page to this blog, hoping to drum up clients from the spiritually fluid and/or the spiritual-but-not-religious crowd.

I was going to weed my library in order to assemble a donation for the local public library (which is, of course, closed right now). 

I thought I might learn an easy instrument, since using the vocal cords for singing seems to be way, way off in the distance. 

I have certain areas of my house which desperately need to be cleaned up or out.

None of this has happened. Where is my ambition? My sense of purpose? Why am I addicted to The Man in the High Castle? Psychologists suggest that many of us may be depressed. I don't feel depressed, but I'm certainly not myself. 

I do have small achievements. That pile of towels on the laundry room floor? I finally got those washed. Yay, you! says my inner cheerleader. It takes so little, these days, to make me feel like I've accomplished something. Well, look at you, I say to myself, You loaded the dishwasher! Good girl, now take a break. Have a snack!

I imagine I'm not the only person struggling a bit with the "new normal." Since I don't feel like myself, I will have to get used to feeling like someone else.

But who will I be when this ends, if it does???




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

Summer blahs ...

When life turns on a dime ...