And the Holy Spirit Said ...

"8:00!! Jude! Get up!"

And I rolled over and groaned -- I was so warm under the covers. I thought, I can try a new church next week ...there's always next Sunday ..."

And the Holy Spirit said again, "Jude! GET UP!! NOW!!"

And I rolled reluctantly out of bed. And I thought, What if I don't like it? What if they don't like me? What if nobody talks to me?

"Then talk to them first," the Holy Spirit said. "And, while we're on the subject, it's OK to stop whining now."

The Holy Spirit has always sounded a lot like my mom. Perhaps that's why I listen sometimes, and why I have always thought the Holy Spirit is female.

So I went to the little church on the hill in the country, after picking up my friend for moral support. It was a beautiful late-fall morning. We finally got our fall color, though after Thanksgiving this year.

The church was charming: small, old, with about 12 pews on each side. The service was blessedly familiar. The sermon was a real sermon -- it made me laugh and cry, the hallmarks of a good sermon. At the announcements, a charming and funny woman made a pitch for the Christmas pageant. It was like the Church on the Pike in better times.

At coffee hour, my friend and I were surrounded by people who had heard us singing. It's clear that we would be welcome in the choir. When asked about the parish, everyone said they adore the rector (she is on vacation, and the wonderful sermon was the work of a supply priest), and that the feeling of family is what keeps people there.

So, less afraid, I'll be going back there next week. Perhaps I have found a new home.


Comments

sharecropper said…
Yea, Jude!!!! Glad you got up and went. What a wonderful experience. I would wish that everyone could have that kind of feeling (if they want it) when they come to a church.
Anonymous said…
"The Holy Spirit has always sounded a lot like my Mom." :) Thanks for the memories!

Popular posts from this blog

Just call me Grumpy

When life turns on a dime ...

Summer blahs ...